Do you ever get down or sad? It happens to most humans periodically. There are many things that can discourage people. It could be a relationship, a coworker, a difficult family situation, a job, health issues, money problems, or loneliness. This list could go on and on. Yes… humans have many problems because that is just life. I want to encourage you to make a daily choice to be happy despite your problems and circumstances.
One of the many issues in our society is that people often fall into the trap of valuing things over other people. Additionally, our society tends to put a premium on self focus. How sad. Have you ever thought or been tempted to think the following:
- If I had more money
- If I had a better job
- If my job were more important
- If I looked better physically
- If I was younger or older
- If I were not so shy
- If I had more friends
- If I ….
Stop! This kind of thinking is not helping you. You are a child of God and He has a plan for you. I want to encourage you to think about happiness in a different manner. What would it look like if you thought of happiness as a choice?
It is easy to wake up each day and focus on all of your problems. It may be your routine. Please do not misunderstand… I am not saying to ignore your problems. I am saying to not let the stress of these problems define you as a person. OK?
So how you can you be happy more consistently? The answer is to make a simple choice to live life with thankfulness, gratitude, and to server others. This is not easy. Here are some ideas to get started:
- Spend time with positive people
- Build other people up
- Write down your hopes and dreams
- Set goals and dream
- Help others – volunteer your time
- Listen to others
- Discover a hobby
- Ask for help
- Pray and have quiet time daily
- Listen to encouraging music or read encouraging books
- Strive for excellence – not perfection
- Get plenty of sleep
- Eat healthier
- Go for a walk and allow yourself to enjoy nature
- Understand life is a journey and will never go according to your plan
- Smile at a stranger and start a conversation when appropriate
- Hold the door for someone
What do you think? Can you make a choice to be happy? I believe if you make some simple changes for a few weeks you will notice your attitude will change. You will have more peace. Stress, problems, and all sorts of challenges will still be happen.
As time goes by these problems will not be define you. In fact you get to define your happiness. So take positive steps. Get started by making small changes and as time goes on you will be amazed how much better you feel.